Motor Vehicles

Motor Vehicles

Vehicle Tag Renewals

Renew your tag online HERE.

New residents must register their vehicles within thirty days of establishing residency in Georgia. A Georgia Driver’s License must be obtained before registering your vehicle.

Out-of-state titles must be surrendered and transferred to Georgia titles (year models 1985 and older are not required to be titled in Georgia). If there is a lien on the vehicle and you do not have the title, we must have the current registration and name and address of the lien holder. Additionally leased vehicles require a power of attorney from the leasing company.

Georgia liability insurance is required to be transmitted to the state’s data base by your insurance company in order to register your vehicle. The vehicle must be covered by liability insurance at all times or a lapse in coverage penalty will apply. If you cancel the insurance, you must also cancel the registration.

Tags expire on the birthday of the first owner shown. You should receive a bill 30 days prior to renewal. Penalties apply after the birthday deadline. Failure to receive a bill in the mail does not relieve the penalty. If you do not receive a bill, call the Tag Office with your tag number and one will be mailed to you. This must be done in time to insure registration by your birthday.

It is the vehicle owner’s responsibility to insure their vehicle is properly registered. Please contact our office with any address changes.

The penalty for late registration is 10% of the tax ($5.00 minimum) and 25% of the tag fee. These penalties begin immediately following the due date.

New and Used Vehicles

Newly purchased vehicles must be registered within 7 days. Title ad valorem tax (TAVT) is due at the time of title application for all vehicles purchased. TAVT does not apply to the purchase of trailers, campers, or any non-motorized vehicles.

If you sell a vehicle, you keep your tag. Tags can be transferred to new vehicles that are registered to the same first owner. Proof of title (bill of sale for 1985 and older) is required to purchase a tag or transfer a tag from a vehicle you no longer own.

For further information regarding vehicle registration please visit the State of Georgia Motor Vehicle Division website at

TAVT and Annual Ad Valorem

Georgia has two types of motor vehicle property taxes:

  • TAVT – Applies to most vehicles purchased March 1, 2013 or later, with a few exceptions
  • Annual Ad Valorem Tax – Applies to most vehicles purchased prior to March 1, 2013 and non-titled vehicles

Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT)

The current TAVT rate is 6.6% of the fair market value of the vehicle. New rate of 7% will be applied July 1st, 2023.

Title Ad Valorem Tax (TAVT) became effective on March 1, 2013. TAVT is a one-time tax that is paid at the time the vehicle is titled. It replaced sales tax and annual ad valorem tax (annual motor vehicle tax) and is paid every time vehicle ownership is transferred or a new resident registers the vehicle in Georgia for the first time.

TAVT Exceptions

  • Non-titled vehicles and trailers are exempt from TAVT – but are subject to annual ad valorem tax.
  • New residents to Georgia pay TAVT at a rate of 3% (New Georgia Law effective July 1, 2019).
  • Family transfer – Form MV-16 Affidavit to Certify Immediate Family Relationship required:
    • If the vehicle is currently in the TAVT system, the family member can pay a reduced TAVT rate of .5% of the fair market value of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is currently in the annual ad valorem tax system, the family member has the option of staying under annual ad valorem OR paying full one-time TAVT.

  • Inheritance – T-20 Affidavit of Inheritance required:
    • If the vehicle is currently in the TAVT system, the family member can pay a reduced TAVT rate of .5% of the fair market value of the vehicle.

If the vehicle is currently in the annual ad valorem tax system, the family member has the option of staying under annual ad valorem OR paying full one-time TAVT.

  • Non-Resident Military – Service Member Affidavit Form PT-472NS required.
  • Some Military Veterans are exempt from TAVT (Form MV-30 Georgian’s Veteran Affidavit for Relief and Local TAVT fees and Military Documentation required):
    • Disabled Veterans compensated at 100%
    • Prisoners of War
    • Purple Heart Recipients
    • Medal of Honor Recipients
  • Public Safety-First Responders – allowed a TAVT exemption on a maximum of $50,000 fair market value combined for all vehicles he or she registers during any three-year period
    • Required documentation: MV-PSFR-TAVT Public Safety First Responder State and Local Title Ad Valorem Tax Exemption Application and award letter from the Department of Administrative Services for individual or spouse receiving payments for indemnification for death or disability
    • Applies to law enforcement officer, fireman, publicly employed emergency medical technician, or a surviving spouse of such a first responder, receiving indemnification payments from the Department of Administrative Services due to certain injuries or death occurring in the line of duty

Annual Ad Valorem Tax

Find the estimated annual ad valorem tax on a vehicle not under TAVT.

Annual Ad Valorem tax applies to most vehicles not taxed under TAVT or alternative ad valorem tax. Annual Ad Valorem tax is a value tax that is assessed annually and must be paid at the time of registration. Payment of ad valorem tax is a prerequisite to receiving a tag or renewal decal. Ad valorem taxes are due each year on all vehicles whether they are operational or not, even if the tag or registration renewal is not being applied for. Taxes must be paid by the last day of your registration period (birthday) to avoid a 10% penalty. Tax amounts vary according to the current fair market value of the vehicle and the tax district in which the owner resides. Ad valorem tax receipts are distributed to the state, county, schools, and cities.

Read the TAVT Informational Bulletin – Calculator Fair Market Value Discrepancy.

Contact Information

For specific information or questions, please contact the county directly at number(s) above.